Lots of people dread long car rides because they are uncomfortable and boring. However, they definitely don’t have to be that way! Whether you’re the driver or the passenger, there are things you can do to make it a more enjoyable and comfortable experience for everyone involved. Read on to learn about car seat solutions that are necessary for long drives.
Effects of Staying Seated for Long Periods of Time
You have probably heard about the negative effects of standing all day, but did you know that sitting all day is just as bad for you? Even if you don’t do it on a regular basis, staying seated for a long car trip can have negative effects on your body. However, the effects are certainly exacerbated if you drive for a living or spend at least six hours sitting at your desk for work. Here are some of the potential consequences of sitting for too long:
- Deep vein thrombosis: DVT is a serious problem that can be caused by sitting for too long. It consists of a blood clot that forms in your leg that has the potential to break off and dislodge in other areas of your body. If it dislodges in your lungs or heart, it can be deadly.
- Varicose veins: Varicose veins aren’t usually dangerous, but they are unsightly. Sitting for long periods of time causes blood to pool in your legs, which appears as dark “spider veins” throughout your legs.
- Chronic pain: Chronic pain in areas like your back, neck, hips, and legs can be a common effect of staying seated for long periods of time due to an excess of pressure on these areas.
- Back injuries: Sitting for too long can cause actual back injuries like strains, bulging discs, and ruptured discs. These conditions can be very painful and are easily exacerbated by continued sitting.
- Bad posture: If you’re sitting with a bad posture, you could be left in that position permanently! So if you don’t want a hunchback, make sure to sit with the proper posture and take breaks to move around.
- Diabetes: Sitting too much for even one day can cause your body’s insulin response to drop off and can increase your risk of developing diabetes as a result.
Obviously, the best way to counter these effects is to stay active and keep moving. But what if you do have to spend long hours in the car? Is there anything you can do to make it a more comfortable and less risky experience? Thankfully, there are several different car seat solutions that you can incorporate into your drive to quite literally put yourself in the best position for a long drive.
Memory Foam Coccyx Seat Cushion
The first car seat solution you need for a long drive is a memory foam coccyx seat cushion for under your bottom. This cushion is made with 100% memory foam of the highest quality with no additional additives that could decrease the effectiveness of the cushion.
Memory foam is the perfect material to support your behind that can easily get sore during a long drive from all the pressure that’s being put on it. It is able to perfectly form to your unique shape due to its heat-responsive properties and provide you with support in the areas where you need it the most. It features a u-shaped design based on top of the line ergonomics and the advice of orthopedists in order to reduce pain in the tailbone, back, and hips.
The cushion is small enough to fit perfectly in your car seat but also large enough to support your entire behind. Finally, it comes with a non-slip cover so that it can easily stay in place while you’re driving without sliding around all over the place. If you find that your behind starts to hurt after just a few hours in the car, then you definitely need to get this cushion before your next long drive.
Memory Foam Lumbar Support Pillow
But don’t just stop with your behind! Another car seat solution you need for a long drive is a memory foam lumbar support pillow for your back. This cushion is also made with pure memory foam from the top memory foam manufacturers in the world.
It is designed to support your back in the places that you need it most while also forming and responding to your body shape and pressure. It helps you practice good posture by making it difficult for you to slump over and keeps your spine aligned in order to reduce lower back pain that’s a common occurrence while driving long distances.
But not only that— the cushion can easily be moved from the car to the airplane, to even your desk chair since it’s totally versatile and easy to strap on any seat thanks to two adjustable straps that help keep it in place no matter how you use it. Finally, it features a hypoallergenic mesh cover that’s super breathable and easily washable so that you can always keep your cushion nice and clean no matter how much you use it.
Memory Foam Neck Travel Pillow
These next two solutions are intended for car passengers rather than drivers. There’s nothing worse than trying to sleep in the car during a long drive but not being able to get comfortable no matter what you do. A lot of this has to do with head support. Unless you can lay down completely, what are you supposed to do with your head to get some rest?
Thankfully, there are memory foam neck travel pillows to help you get some much-needed rest. This memory foam pillow comes in a u-shape that easily slides behind your neck and provides you with amazing support in the back and on both sides. It features an ergonomic raised lobe design to provide you with more support than other travel pillows that still leave your head off to the side in either direction.
This pillow also comes with a handy pocket so that you can easily maintain access to items like your phone or headphones. Finally, it comes with amazing bonus items like earplugs and an eye mask that will really help you get through the drive and arrive at your location totally rested and ready to go!
Memory Foam Foot Rest Pillow
This last car seat support solution is also designed for passengers. It’s easy to focus on your neck and back while in the car and forget about your feet since they are just sitting on the ground. But believe it or not, this is actually bad for your legs, and just like your neck and back need additional support, your legs and feet do too!
That’s why our memory foam foot rest is essential for long trips in the car. It’s made with an orthopedic teardrop design that supports your legs and feet with 100% memory foam while you’re seated for long periods of time. It’s able to stay in place despite frequent turns while in the car thanks to its non-slip bottom with a cover that is also easily removed and washed.
Finally, this pillow doesn’t just have to be used in the car! It can be placed under your desk at work or in your home office to provide you with the support you need anytime you’re sitting down.
How to Maintain Good Posture While Driving
In order to actually benefit from all these pillows and support solutions, you need to start off with your car seat in the right position to maintain good posture. But what’s actually the right position while driving? Many people simply set their seat and steering wheel to what seems good at the time and never think about it again. However, these tips will indicate whether or not you need to adjust your seat for maximum comfort:
- Adjust your seat pan so that your thighs are totally supported and are slightly lower than your hips
- Sit close enough to the steering wheel that you can reach it and the pedals comfortably while still not having to bend your knees or arms all the way
- Raise your seat up so that your eye level is at least three inches above the steering wheel
- Lean your seat back just enough that you’re not at a direct 90-degree angle— 100 or 110 is ideal
- Adjust your headrest so that it touches the back of your head while you’re sitting
- Finally, adjust your mirrors so that you don’t have to crane your neck or body around to see other cars on the road
A long car trip doesn’t have to be a miserable experience! If you follow these guidelines and make sure to stop and stretch your legs every so often, you can save yourself from short-term discomfort and potentially long-term health problems.
Leave a comment