The world of the twenty-first century really revolves around constant communication, constant innovation, and constant effort. No matter what you do for a living, chances are that you are somewhat familiar with the mindset of deadlines and crunchtime. However, these realities can also have negative impacts on the way that you feel, especially in terms of long-term, chronic pain due to poor posture, uncomfortable seats, and just poor working habits.
So, if any of this sounds relatable to you, then let’s explore some of the most common causes of back pain and poor posture, and explore the best ways to remedy those issues with seat cushions!
What Causes Back Pain?
Back pain is one of the most common reasons for workplace discomfort currently, and this is because it can affect people of all ages for a wide variety of reasons. There are several potential causes of back pain, especially lower back pain, so let’s dive into some of the most common.
- Poor Posture: Poor posture, especially if you find yourself sitting, standing, or lying down for a long period of time on a regular basis, can be one of the most egregious causes of lower back pain. The way you sit has a huge impact on your lower back and tailbone, and continued strain and poor posture can be a huge contributor to the way you feel. It may even contribute to or exacerbate sciatica, so it's worth trying to work on healthy posture.
- Strain: If your job requires any kind of physical activity, the way that you move really matters when it comes to back problems. For example, if you are lifting heavy objects, carrying large boxes, or just twisting your back at all, the way that you do these activities directly impacts the way you feel. Evaluating the way that you move and the ways your body defaults to lifting, moving, carrying, or twisting can be a good way to identify causes of back pain.
- Poorly designed chairs: If you work in an office that requires you to sit in an office chair for hours on end every day, there’s a good chance that the chair you spend most of your waking hours in actually causes some of your back pain. Most office chairs are not designed with ergonomics in mind, and some actually have a negative impact on your spinal posture.
- Lack of exercise or change in seating position: If you sit still for long periods of time without getting up, you will eventually notice lower back strain, which can eventually turn into chronic pain. Take a walk, stretch, and change your seating position often to avoid this.
What Is A Seat Cushion, Anyway?
So let’s say that you do work in an office setting, and you spend long hours sitting at a desk, working on various projects. Chances are that you didn’t buy the chair you’re sitting in; it was most likely provided by the office manager or someone else in the company that you work for. So, if BYOC (bringing your own chair) to work isn’t feasible, what steps do you need to take to try and avoid back pain?
Orthopedic seat cushions can be one of the best ways for you to start identifying causes of back pain and improving your overall posture while at work, in the car, on a plane, or just at home. The best seat cushions are removable, portable, and made of materials that will mold to your body’s natural shape to give you the best comfort you can possibly have. High-quality memory foam is the best choice for this.
When you sit normally, your body weight pushes into your pressure points, which can lead to serious discomfort. Pure memory foam allows some relief from this by molding to your body.
What exactly is a seat cushion? Well, essentially, a seat cushion is a rounded pillow that fits into the seat of your current chair, and that is usually made of either ventilated memory foam with cut outs or cooling gel-infused memory foam. This way, you get both comfort and breathability in your back cushion with the added airflow. Some seat cushions will feature breathable mesh covers for the same purpose.
At Everlasting Comfort, we offer seat cushions made of both materials, and our seat cushions also feature a non-slip rubber bottom because we know how annoying it is to slip out of your chair every time you move.
Additionally, the best seat cushions are also designed to respond to your body heat, actually molding to the shape of your body to provide additional comfort and support. This is why they are designed with memory foam or gel so that they can give you the ultimate in overall posture support.
Our lumbar support pillows function similarly, and all of our Everlasting Comfort seat cushions feature a zippered machine washable cover with a non-skid bottom, as well as adjustable straps so that you can take your comfy back support on the go, whether it's to your office or in your car seat.
Not only that, but our warranty ensure that you'll be able to sit in comfort for a long time to come.
Benefits Of Seat Cushions
So, before you buy one, you might want to know why memory foam seat cushions are for you. Well, the answer may be more simple than you think!
Right off the bat, one of the greatest benefits of buying a seat cushion is the fact that seat cushions are portable. If you are looking to buy a seat cushion, get one that is easily removable, accessible, and can go with you anywhere you go!
Secondly, seat cushions are great because their ergonomic design offers a way to improve your posture and lessen your lower back pain without breaking the bank. Anyone that has ever shopped for a new office chair knows that they can be incredibly expensive, and you often can’t sit in them to try them out before investing over a hundred dollars in them, so you have no idea if they’ll even help or not!
On the other hand, seat cushions are usually affordable, and you can get them in a variety of shapes, materials, and sizes, so they’re perfect for versatile use.
Finally, seat cushions are great because they feel great. Not only do they help your posture, they genuinely feel incredibly comfortable. Our seat cushions are designed with comfort in mind, so we can give you a truly comfortable seating experience no matter where you are. Say goodbye to random aches and pains; you’ll never go back to sitting on just your uncomfortable desk chair ever again.
What Kind Of Seat Cushion Should You Buy?
The kind of seat cushion to buy depends on what you need it for. While there are several kinds of seat cushions, the most common are lumbar support seat cushions and coccyx seat cushions. Both kinds are useful, and both kinds actually support different types of pain and provide different areas of comfort.
- Lumbar support cushions: These cushions are designed to be placed towards the lower back area of your chair and provide excellent muscular support to your lower back, your spine, and your posture. They will not only lessen pain but will, over time, actually make sitting in a positive posture more natural!
- Coccyx Seat cushions: These cushions are what most people think of when they think of seat cushions. Designed to go directly into the seat of the chair, these cushions support your lower back, your buttocks and just make any chair more comfortable and more enjoyable to sit in.
At Everlasting Comfort, we actually offer both of these products together in a bundle so you can save money, and you can actually enjoy comfortable, posture-positive cushions for both your lower back and the seat of your chair. Both are made from high-density memory foam, so you know you're getting all the durability and comfort that you need.
Other Suggestions For Back Pain
At the end of the day, maybe a seat cushion won’t solve all your problems. So let’s explore some other suggestions for lessening back pain that a seat cushion won’t fix.
- Work on your posture yourself. Be willing to try different seating positions, and be mindful of how your spine is angled. Make sure that no matter what chair you sit in, you are able to adopt a good posture with your legs uncrossed, your ankles forward of your knees, and your body slightly angled backwards. This may help relieve some tailbone pain.
- Make sure your desk and screens are at the right height. Believe it or not, back pain can also be caused by neck strain, and so if you find yourself constantly looking up or looking down at different parts of your monitor, adjust your workflow! Move your monitors, move your desk, change your chair height, and try other ways to make sure that you are able to enjoy a comfortable work environment.
- Exercise throughout your day. Adopting some very simple exercises for back pain relief can be a great way to make sure that your muscles are stretched properly. Take a break every once in a while, walk around, and try some basic exercises like partial crunches, wall sits, or back extensions.
- Talk to a doctor: Eventually, if you get to the point where your back pain is truly unbearable, it may be time to talk to a doctor. Pillows, chairs, cushions, and posture can only go so far. Your back pain may be a symptom of something more serious.
Seat cushions can be an excellent way to improve your posture, lessen back pain, and sit more comfortably. At the end of the day, the ability to get through your day without pain is within your grasp! Just be willing to do some research and try our a memory foam pillow, and you will get to the point where you can comfortably enjoy work in any type of environment. Best of luck!