Do you suffer from sciatica? When you sit down, do you feel aches in your lower back, hips, or buttocks?
If the answer to either of those questions is yes, we at Everlasting Comfort are here to provide you with the relief and relaxation you deserve. Now more than ever, we are having to sit in chairs for long periods and work from home and we're in need of some pain relief.
For those with sciatica, the discomfort from extended periods of inactivity can be nearly unbearable. Luckily, a good seat cushion just may be all you need to put your body at ease and help sciatica pain to be a thing of the past.
What Is Sciatica?
Sciatica typically affects just one side of the body and is the name for pain that radiates down the path of a person’s sciatic nerve, which stretches from the lower back, through the hips, and down each leg. This state is often put into motion when a herniated disc on the spine compresses part of the nerve, causing pain, inflammation, and even sometimes numbness in the leg. Mild sciatica will usually go away with non-operational aids or light physical therapy over the course of a few weeks. For some people, it feels like lower back pain while sciatic pain appears more as the hip pain or as leg pain for others.
Risk factors for sciatica include:
- Prolonged Sitting
If you believe that you fall into one of these at-risk groups or categorizations, it is important to know what to look for in order to take the next steps to heal your sciatica nerve pain. Common symptoms of sciatica are:
- Pain radiating from the lower spine to the buttock and down the back of the leg that feels anything like sharp burning to a electric shock-like jolt
- Only one side is affected (this is almost always the case)
- Numbness, tingling, or muscle fatigue in the affected leg
Future occurrences of sciatica can be prevented by some of the following tactics:
- Exercising regularly: The focus should be on exercises that will increase the strength of your core and lower back.
- Maintaining healthy posture when sitting: Find a high-quality chair that provides strong lower back support to make it easier to sit up straight comfortably with correct spinal alignment.
- Use proper body mechanics: Take care of your muscles and joints when performing daily tasks and avoid awkward motions, especially those that involve twisting and lifting heavy objects.
If you believe that you are suffering from sciatica, contact your healthcare provider or another medical professional. If left to heal completely on its own without treatment, permanent damage can be done to the nerve. Unable to get to the doctor’s office or physical therapist right now? You can still rehabilitate the negative effects of sciatica with the aid of a high-quality seat cushion.
What Are Seat Cushions?
We are sitting for long periods of time, perhaps now more than ever, but that should not mean that your health and comfort have to suffer. Even if you do not own a fancy or expensive desk chair, you can still receive support and relief for your body by utilizing a seat cushion. They're also useful while traveling as a plane or car seat cushion.
Seat cushions are easily removable and replaceable cushions filled with either air or padding that can be placed upon a given chair or another seating area in order to make it more comfortable, in addition to providing a whole host of other health benefits.
Benefits of Seat Cushions
- Posture: Poor posture can not only cause pain or aches in the back, neck, and head but can also alter our center of gravity, thus increasing the risk of falling and hurting oneself. Support pillows make it easier for your body to maintain good posture whilst sitting, therefore even helping to improve your overall posture and balance. This will also help with pressure relief so you will be less likely to deal with tailbone pain.
- Circulation: Regular seats are not always built to align your body in a way that keeps blood circulating evenly through all of your tissue and muscles, thus leading to soreness and fatigue. Seat cushions will make it easier for your body to comprehensively circulate the oxygen it needs.
- Digestion: A seat without the proper support can compress parts of your body, impacting functionality. One such part is the digestive system. A seat cushion will help open up the body enough to maintain regular digestion processes and therefore avoid or minimize the potential for stomach pain, heartburn, constipation, and IBS.
- Energy: Without the distractions of pain and discomfort, our bodies can operate at their best. A seat cushion can help boost energy and productivity simply by providing the support needed to make a positive, noticeable difference.
- Protection: Seat cushions can protect the joints and nerves that may be at risk whilst sitting in your regular chair. A quality seat cushion can mean all the difference in protecting and maintaining the health of your spine, hips, and buttocks.
Different Types Of Seat Cushions
Now that you know more about orthopedic seat cushions and their benefits, you may be wondering what your options are or where to start. Let us streamline your sciatica-easing process by providing the different types of seat cushions that you should keep an eye out for.
A standard foam seat cushion can be a great way to receive some relief and support without breaking the bank. The most affordable of all options, these are a great option for a first foray into seat cushions in order to best learn what works for you. However, because they are on the cheaper side, foam cushions typically offer the least support and are the least durable.
This is the most popular type of seat cushion for a reason. A memory foam seat cushion is probably the best type to go with if you place comfort before all else. It feels firm while still molding to the natural shape of your body, providing solid support without feeling heavy. While this is one of the more expensive cushions, it is worth the price for its durability and cloud-like feel to help with your sciatica and low back pain.
These cushions are made with a gel pack filling that is covered by a casing for comfort. These flexible and dynamic cushions contour to the body, thus relieving pain and comfort by improving your body’s overall circulation. They are relatively easy to clean and transport, but a downside is that they are often the most expensive of all sciatica cushion types.
The coccyx seat cushion uses a U-shaped design to take pressure off of the tailbone and spine whilst seated, which can, in turn, help with sciatica pain relief. Its almost donut-like design sets it apart and is one of the determining factors in its ability to relieve stress from sensitive areas.
Lumbar seat cushions focus on delivering support to the areas of the back. This helps users maintain comfort while providing spine health. Lumbar seat cushions are usually placed at the hollow of the back to help straighten the vertebra when sitting.
Many lumbar cushions can attach to any desk chair with an adjustable elastic strap for ergonomic support. A lumbar roll cushion has the benefit of being lightweight and compact for portability. The lumbar roll cushion can even be placed between the knees, which can be especially helpful in getting a good night’s sleep while dealing with sciatica.
The Best Seat Cushions To Help Sciatica
Out of the many options to choose from, we believe that our user tested and approved seat cushions are the best of the best. Here is a closer look at our various seat cushions and what they can do for you.
Memory Foam Seat Cushion
Our Memory Foam Seat Cushion has over 600 Five Star reviews and even comes complete with a lumbar back cushion. Here are some o the benefits that this machine-washable product provides:
Two-in-one back cushion and seat cushion:
With this product, you get both a seat cushion and a back cushion, so all of your needs are covered. The back lumbar support cushion is adjustable, so it can be placed wherever on your seat you need it the most to help relieve serious back pain.
The U-shape design is especially great for helping to alleviate lower back aches and pains, as well as problems with the lumbar and coccyx and sciatica.
Ventilated, Gel-infused design:
Cut out holes and memory foam infused with gel help to provide cooling comfort, along with all the other pain-relieving benefits of memory foam.
As with all memory foam, this product responds to heat, allowing the cushion to perfectly mold to your body for the most comfortable shape possible. This also means that it provides support exactly where you individually need it.
Gel-Infused Memory Foam Coccyx Seat Cushion
Another incredible option in the face of your sciatica is our Gel-Infused Memory Foam Coccyx Seat Cushion. Key features of this well-reviewed product include:
Ergonomic, orthopedic design:
This seat cushion features an eronomic design that is specially made to provide comfort, no matter how many hours that you're spending at your desk.
No one wants a seat cushion that constantly moves out of place. Our design features a gel rubber bottom to keep your cushion in place, no matter how much you're moving around.
Lifetime replacement guarantee:
Our cushions are designed to last, but if anything should happen to your cushion, our lifetime guarantee ensures that you'll always have the seat cushion that you need.
Washing your seat cushion has never been easier. All you need to do is unzip the cover, wash it with cold water, and machine dry.
Gel-Infused Memory Foam Coccyx Seat Cushion for Office Chair
Last but certainly not least is perhaps our best option of all, the Gel-Infused Memory Foam Coccyx Seat Cushion for Office Chair. If the over 10,000 Five Star reviews are not enough to convince you to consider this incredible sciatica-relieving seat cushion, than let yourself be convinced by reading its key features:
Perfect for home offices.
If you're working from home, you may not have the perfect office chair. Add comfort to your set up with one of our cushions, which is also helpful for long hours in the car or doctor's office.
Orthopedic and ergonomic design.
Lifetime replacement guarantee.
Not only do seat cushions help easing the aches and pains of sciatica, but our own Everlasting Comfort seat cushions are among the best when it comes to providing the relief that you deserve. Use this article as a guide for you and your loved ones when it comes to choosing the best seat cushion for you.
For even more options for aiding and maintaining your health, you can look at our other products or simply contact us to ask for more.